Friday, February 8, 2013

Have a COLORFUL Valentine's Day {DIY & FREE Printable}


 

Valentine’s Day is almost here!!!!

I just love this holiday because of all the hearts. This idea is a great way to give Valentines to the kiddos without giving them the unhealthy sugars. It also encourages creativity because the kiddos can use the hearts to draw with. I first came across this on The Long Thread and thought it would be fun to make. I went to my local HomeGoods and found a package of 12 Mini Silicone Baking Cups in the shape of a heart for $5.99. It was a little pricey but I figured it was a good investment because I can always reuse them. I had a box of used crayons laying around my house that I used as a child and decided to use them for this project. This was an easy and sort of inexpensive project to make fun Valentines for the kiddos. Get the FREE printable I made by clicking right here.

Materials:
Heart shaped baking pan or silicone cups
Cookie sheet
Crayons (lots of them)
Ziploc sandwich bag
Valentine’s Day printable
Scotch tape
Oven

Instructions
Step 1: Peel off wrapper of crayons (I found the Crayola crayons gave the best pigment and use lighter colors)
Step 2: Place crayons in the Ziploc sandwich bag (the crayons should not have their wrapper on them)
Step 3: Break the crayons in the Ziploc sandwich bag until they are little pieces.
Step 4: Preheat oven to 275 degrees F
Step 5: Place the crayon pieces into the heart shaped baking pan/silicone cups (if using the silicone cups place them on a cookie sheet before placing into the oven)
Step 6: Place the pan into the oven
Step 7: Leave for 5-7 minutes (checking occasionally until melted)
Step 8: Take out of oven and let stand until it dries
Step 9: While waiting for the crayons to dry, print out the Valentine and cut
Step 10: Pop out the crayons and attach to Valentine with scotch tape.
 
Tip: When transporting them to your designated location, make sure to separate each Valentine with wax paper so the crayon does not transfer to the other Valentines.
 
I hope you enjoy this diy and you even get a FREE printable too!!!! Happy Early Valentine’s Day from me to you.
With love, Kate
 

No comments:

Post a Comment