Thursday, July 18, 2013

Easy-to-Make Chalkboard








I’ve wanted to make a chalkboard for a long time now and finally got around to making one. It was simple and quick to make. I’ve seen lots of different chalkboards made from frames you can buy at your local craft stores, but I found that the size of frame I would need would cost a lot. I went looking at my local thrift shops and came across this simple frame. Local thrift shops carry a variety of unique frames of all different shapes, sizes, and colors for cheap. You are sure to find one that works for you. Plus if it isn’t in the color you like, you can always paint it!!! You just have to be patient when looking. When I initially started this project, I made my own chalkboard paint using a recipe I found online, but found that it didn’t work very well. I decided to buy chalkboard paint at Joann (my local craft store) and it worked 100% better. I found through this project that it was also cheaper to use the chalkboard paint from my local craft store (Joann). If you have a local craft store like Michaels or Joann, these stores usually have a 40% and 50% off coupon that you can use to buy the chalkboard paint.

This easy DIY is to show you how simple it is to make a chalkboard once you buy your frame from the store or thrift shop.

Materials
Frame with cardboard backing
Chalkboard paint (bought or made)
Paintbrush
Newspaper
Chalk

Directions: Take out the cardboard backing from the frame. Set out the newspapers and place cardboard on top to insure that the chalkboard paint does not get on your floor. Using the paintbrush, paint the chalkboard paint onto the cardboard (follow directions on store-bought chalkboard paint if you are using this type of paint). Let it dry and place cardboard back into the frame. Add your quote or drawing with chalk. 

Lots of love,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment